- 3 cups glutinous rice flour, toasted and divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut, toasted
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cups white granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla flavoring (or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, pour-in the coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugars, toasted grated coconut and vanilla and stir to combine. Let it boil for another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of toasted rice flour and keep on stirring constantly until mixture is hard and dry.
- Remove the mixture from the pot and place and flatten onto floured board for about 1/2 inch thickness. Allow to cool down.
- Cut the mixture into desired size and and roll onto the rest of the flour. Shake off excess flour.
Pastillas de Leche
- 515 g (1 can) condensed milk
- 2 3/4 cups of powdered milk
- caster sugar
- In a bowl, mix condensed milk and powdered milk until well combined. (I asked Rachel to reserve half and i added strawberry paste to add flavor. The mixture got a bit too soft and so next time we should be adding some more powdered milk.)
- Spoon small amount onto greased (we used butter) hands and roll the mixture into a ball and shape into a cylinder afterwards.
- Roll onto caster sugar, just enough to cover the shaped pastillas.
- Wrap in paper or cellophane.